How can my teenage girls wear their cut off jean shorts in Paris?
“In July, I’m travelling to Paris with three teenage girls and I would like your advice. Is it ok for them to wear denim cut off shorts or rompers? They buy most of their clothes from Brandy Melville, H & M, and Urban Outfitters. The girls say some of these stores are in Paris and sell these items so it should be okay to wear them. However, everything I read says no shorts. Thank you for your help.”
Your daughters are right. We do have all those brands in Paris and therefore lots of teenage girls wear items that provide from those shops.
However, the girls that are considered well dressed wear it in a specific way.
As a parisian girl I can often spot the american girls wearing shorts because they wear it in a different way.
Your teenage girls do not have to “blend in” if they do not want to and more and more french teenagers dress the american way.
Still, there are some differences and if they want to feel confident and not to be looked at (in France lots of men “stare” at young girls) I have some advice for them.
It is also good if you want to take a lunch break in a somehow fancy place.
For an evening dinner, cut-off shorts are considered innapropriate.
But for the daytime, they are appropriate 🙂
So here are my tips:
– choose the shorts properly it shall not be too short (meaning you almost see the butt) or too tight. It is better to wear quality fabrics like vintage Levis and not to have some fake looking ripping or white washed lines. Simple is better.
– wear them with any shoes but flip flops or running shoes that are only designed for running. Sneakers are good!
– on top, do not wear anything too tight or too short (where we see the belly button),
And now, some outfit they could pull out if they like.
1. T-shirt outfit (very casual)
Parisian girls often like it simple.
When your basics are well chosen and fit you, you cannot go wrong (isn’t it Jane B?).
So here I chose ripped shorts in what looks like good quality cotton that is neither too stretchy or too tight.
I added a simple t-shirt, slightly loose, a tote bag and converses.
The knot, the anchor print and some yellow nailpolish add fun and style to the look.
Add some jewels to sophisticate the look.
Of course you can switch the sneakers for more elegant sandals.
– Ripped 501 vintage Levis (option for lazy girls, the others can find it in vintage stores)
– Star printed converses (for the fun and style touch)
2. Sleeveless shirt outfit (very casual)
3. Crochet top outfit (casual chic)
4. Pretty accessories outfit (casual)