What to wear in Paris
Your plane and your hostel are booked and you cannot wait to be in Paris.
But there is one last thing you have to do: PACKING.
How to dress for Paris when you know you will be walking all day long au soleil, sous la pluie à midi ou à minuit?
Here are my advices:
1. Pack some comfortable yet elegant basic clothes
Advantage: they can all be mixed together.
– Neutral colored jeans/pants
– A skirt (one you can walk with) or elegant short pants for the daytime
– Some blouses
– Some cotton tops (loose T-shirts for instance)
– Some cardigans and pullovers
– A trench, a blazer or a coat
– A dress for the evening: simple an not overdressed
What not to wear if you do not want to look like a tourist (if you don’t care go ahead ^^):
– Large cropped pants, especially those lace-trimmed ones
– Mom jeans (unless you are a hipster)
– Joggings (if not Isabel Marant’s worn with high heels)
– Fleece jacket (I swear you there are no bears on the “montagne sainte Geneviève”)
– Anything related to sport and hiking (you are not Marc Jacobs)
– Lots of flashy colors worn together
2. Pack elegant walking shoes
– Sneakers are an option! They are really trendy right now: New balance, Stan Smith, Converse, Bensimons, etc… but not the one you take for exercising (chunky ones, if you know what I mean).
– Any flats: boots, derbies, loafers, sandals, etc. Have a look at my article on flat shoes.
– Chunky heeled shoes that are not to high: they are as comfy as flats to walk with.
Classy flat shoes can be worn on a night out but if you can, add a pair of higher heels in your luggage.
What not to wear:
– Hiking shoes or exercise sneakers are a no: Paris is not a mountain or a sport club
– A bad pedicure (but I know New Yorkers are far better that us on the pedicure issue anyway).
– Ballerinas. Except if you don’t sweat, or do not fear it is maybe gonna rain at some point.
3. Pack a good bag
Large enough to fit all your stuffs for the day, comfortable enough to be carried around, resistant enough not to be damaged and classy enough to be stylish
If you take only one, choose a classic that’ll match all your outfits and can be worn both day and night.
Comfortable bag = light, carried on shoulder (or on the back), large straps.
Add a cotton tote bag inside just in case you need to carry more (they are stylish).
What not to wear:
– Any bag that you have to carry on your elbow or in your hand, you’ll get tired
– Fanny pack ^^
– Sporty backpack (if not Alexander Wang’s style)
4. Pack a few accessories
They are light in the luggage and add great style.
– Some jewels for a night out.
– Bold lipstick and polish
– A scarf (for summer of for winter) and gloves (if it’s winter) that will match with your other outfits
– An umbrella (or you buy a pretty one in Paris)
5. Walking Paris outfit ideas for every season
Wear a nice T-shirt under your sweater in case it gets sunny.
Bring a short trench for sometimes chilly summer nights.
Wear a blouse under your sweater in case the weather changes or if you get invited to a fancy restaurant.
Roll up your pants to reveal your ankles if you feel like it. And you can add a pair of sparkly emerald socks to stay warm.
Little heels are as comfy to walk with as flats. The snakeskin adds style to the outfit.
A good chosen parka is stylish.
Gloves and lipstick add a hint of color to this neutral outfit.
==> All those outfit are comfortable, easy to walk with, adapted to the season AND stylish. You are ready for Paris!
6. Outfits ideas for a night out in Paris
Most of restaurants/ bars in Paris do not expect you to be super fancy.
Actually if you wear of cocktail dress or a gown in a chic restaurant, you might be looked at as overdressed.
Just add a bit of sophistication to your daytime outfit with jewels, make up and hair and you are good to go.
Here is an example with the autumn outfit just made fancier by revealing the see-trough blouse, adding thin jewels, and daring red makeup plus switching for leather pants (but you could have kept the black jeans).
Same for bars and clubs: girls are sexy but in a subtle way.
If you wear bodycon dress + heels + makeup and brushing, you take the risk of being considered as tacky by french guys.
Just as on the above example, girl will just add some sexyness and sophistication to the daytime outfit.
For instance, for a bar in summer, add some heels, a shorter skirt, some jewels et voilà: sexy you.
To go to a club, you can be more sexy, but never forget you’ll probably have to WALK to catch the taxi, or worst, to go home, so stay reasonable with the heels height.
Here is a very attractive, quite rock but not tacky club outfit:
If you are going to a fancy cocktail bar or restaurant, you can pack a designer’s dress: just don’t overdo the rest of the outfit: