What capsule wardrobe for two months in Paris in winter?
I found your blog and found it to be well written and relevant. I will be staying in Paris for 2.5 months Jan to March 2016, and I want to travel with one small suitcase. I have looked at capsule wardrobes and will be using that concept when I pack. I am a very plain and basic dresser, so I am interested in those timeless pieces, ones which fit my body and personality, I am 51 and a mother of four, and fit but not thin. I enjoy walking and being outdoors, and this is a problem, finding the right coat which does not take up a lot of room and yet is somewhat stylish and not bulky – I cannot handle bulk! So that’s a bit about me, and I look forward to following your blog.
Have an awesome day
Lori from Canada
Paris in winter is very cold, so you will need things to cover up.
You will also need outfits for more fancy occasions like a night out.
Here are my packing recommendations:
First, pack colors that suit you and go for neutrals and print-free items either:
– for everything (tops and bottoms)
– for only tops (with bottoms of different colors)
– for only bottoms (with tops of different colors)
This way, you’ll be sure everything will match everything
– A pair of jeans : dark blue would be a must
– A pair of chic pants (cigarette or carrots pants for instance)
– Another pair of jeans (black for instance) or casual chic pants (corduroy for instance)
– A dress for a night out. It can be a little black dress or another color you fancy. I recommend you to go for long sleeves, this way you won’t need to layer.
Or this other one?
– Two or three cashmere fluid and warm knitted sweaters (V-neck, crew neck, turtleneck, go for the ones that suits your personnality). The perfect warm knit for someone who hates bulk ^^
– A pair or two of comfy yet chic flats: low boots, loafers, brogues, sneakers…
If you go for flat, I recommend to choose a rather thick sole in order to keep your feet warm and dry.
Or those ones?
– A pair of heeled low boots to go with your dress or pants for a night out
What about those ones?
Pumps are not necessary in Paris in winter, ladies wear heeled ankle boots or low boots in restaurants with their dresses.
– One or two chic tops to wear with your pants on a night out when you do not feel like wearing your dress)
You need a coat that is at least a bit thick since it gets really cold in winter in Paris (I am very good at beeing “grandma obvious”)
Choose a good warm wool with quality lining
Like this one
Or this one
One or two scarves are necessary in winter (or the source of your communications problems with the parisians won’t be your lack of french but your lack of voice.)
You can go either for a neutral and plain color or for someting more fun as anyway, the rest of your outfit will be plain and neutral.
– At least one statement jewel: either necklace or earrings
– Your usual jewels
I recommend you not to overload 🙂
– Your favorite lipstick
+ a sample of your favorite perfume.
And you are ready to fly.
Bienvenue à Paris 🙂